Monday, April 14, 2008

Let me say, first, that I am not an atheist. I do however have certain issues with the traditional concept of God. Of course, there is the usual; how can he let good people be in pain, how could he let children suffer? Obviously, or maybe not so, there must be something greater than ourselves. It is pompous and highly unlikely that we are the best creation has come up with. I guess I just find the whole concept of an omnipotent being, sitting on high, orchestrating and worrying about our little lives, a bit hard to swallow. But, beyond that, I guess the thing that bothers me the most is this; how could any perfect, all-powerful being have created us, only to sit back and call it a good day? I don't mean to sound flip. I am not referring to our basic human flaws or weaknesses, or even to our rapidly declining sense of morality. I am talking about something much more basic than that. What kind of a perfect being would look at the human design and call it a job well done? For one thing, there is our mortality. Wouldn't you think that an omnipotent being could create something that wouldn't break or die? Okay, so lets say that this planned obsolescence is part of the plan. What about the rest of our design. We have bones that break, skin that is insufficient protection in almost any climate, eyes that grow weak with age, and don't get me started on what's under the surface. I mean, look at our intestines. Is a mile long tract of slimy, sausage like membrane the quickest way from point A to point B? Wouldn't a straight shot from the mouth to the butt be much more efficient? And while we're talking about it - why do we need to eat anyways? Do you think God enjoys a nice slice of pizza while watching Survivor? Why would he create something that depended on the death of something else to survive? Wouldn't you want all of your toys to play nicely together? I certainly wouldn't want my Barbie sauteeing my Gumby. If a perfect being sat down to create something wonderful, don't you think he/she could do it without the need for food or excrement? Let's face it, we have too many ports of entry and egress, we are literally leaking stuff all over the place. Is that really the definition of intelligent design? I don't know. Maybe I've gotten it wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I would like to think that the almighty could do better. Or, maybe he was just having a bad day.Check out my website; http://furrytails.mysite.com/index.html

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home